Thursday, May 3, 2012

Biographer: Boolean Network Simulation

I know this is a bit late, but still here it is. I got selected into GSoC 2012! My project is on Boolean Network Simulation and the organisation is biographer. I'm totally psyched to work on this project.

On the first day of work, I updated my system to Ubuntu 12.04, got all the necessary softwares installed, took a lot of bandwidth and time on my 3G dongle. But it was worth it. Ubuntu 12.04 is really awesome, Unity is finally usable, but my laptop being a bit old I need to run Unity2D without all the flashy effects.

Ok. So back to the topic of the post. I needed to get the biographer server up and running. So installed all the dependencies including web2py, python-simplejson, graphviz, libsbml, the layouter and the ui. I had to use the latest version of libsbml as the old version wasn't compiling. The scripts were a bit out outdated so fixed them for Ubuntu, replaced the experimental layouter with the normal one. Then copied the simulator code to the static directory. Modified Get.py to use my local installation of the simulator. And voila, it worked, a huge network popped up in my browser(which I had to change from my usual Firefox to Chrome).

That was a bit detailed, but as it was the first day I still have the enthuthasiasm to blabber about every small thing that I'm doing. Next few days understanding the existing tools in Boolean network simulation like the python booleannet and R's BoolNet. Followup posts would hopefully focus more on the ideas and a shorter summary of the work.

No comments: